View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAonFire View Post
Okay, so I figured why not throw this suggestion out there...what could it hurt?

I was thinking...what could represent SAN ANTONIO as a whole? (Since it will be Texas A&M-San Antonio, not just one side of town.) After the hamster in my head put it into over-drive, I thought what about Texas A&M - "Aviators"!! That would be awesome, huh?! Right?!!

SO...what do you think? I think it has a ring to it and serves to honor the 1st United States military flight which took place here in San Antonio at Fort Sam Houston in 1910 by U.S. Army Lt. Benjamin Foulois. It also ties in nicely with the whole "Military City USA" label that we are all rightfully proud of.

I somewhat envision a mascot team like "Raider Red" and the "Masked Rider" from Texas Tech pairing up to represent the school...only dressed/designed with a vintage aviator's uniform in mind. A school logo designed after a set of aviator wings would look awesome on football helmets, t-shirts, and anything ATM-SA related. I think this could be really cool and appropriately follow the rich military tradition at Texas A&M. It could also serve to assist the Corps of Cadets "Keepers of the Spirit" tradition by bringing in aerial reinforcements.

I was hoping to send my suggestions directly to the school via the web poll but the links are not working. What do you think? If they haven't already picked up an idea and you all think it's worth me contacting them, I will. If not, I will put the hamster in "time out" for yet another fine idea that got me into trouble!

OR....If they can't use it, I'll save the idea and pitch it to the NFL execs when they come to town looking to start a team! I'll be waiting!!!
Hmm never thought about the name Aviators. I do like it alot though! As stated aviation has always been a major part of San Antonios past.