View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The Feds give and take.

You know taking Air Canada, and a lot of aerospace jobs out of Winnipeg for political gain elsewhere (Quebec). Shuttering the CWB and selling it off to a foreign majority owner. Gutting the CMHC offices and sending the vast majority of First Nation housing related jobs out to Calgary (of all places).

I would be interested in seeing some stats on the amount of federal jobs as a comparison between the MB and SK, or even AB for that matter.
Its been a few years since I looked at it but at the time (maybe 5 yrs ago?) on a per capita basis the feds would have had to move 10,000 federal jobs to Sask to make it equivalent on per capita basis. It was explained to me that man and sask are grouped together as the "prairie region" and there was an effort made at spreading federal jobs evenly but only at the "regional" level. Because of Lloyd Axworthy and others, those jobs ended up in Winnipeg. (I'm not knocking Lloyd....I think he was one of the best politicians this country had and Winnipeg was smart enough to keep electing people that would serve prominent roles in Cabinet)

On a per capita basis, Sask had the lowest or near lowest number of federal jobs.