View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:44 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Very interesting. I wonder how long it will take to get this service going?
I'd say at least another 8 years, more likely 10 to 12 years. Here's why?
They just got funding to start the environmental studies. For a project over 100 miles in length in four large Texas counties, this will take a minimum of two years. After the EIS studies, there's usually around a 6 month waiting period for public comments, and another 6 months to publish answers to those comments. Then they have to wait for the FTA and FRA to bless the project with formula funds. That's when you start the two year process of designing the project including the train stations and parking lots. Then another two years to build the project. And that assumes everything goes right, that no one pops up opposing it, and money becomes available.
Additionally, the UP corridor they wish to use is crowded with freights, therefore why you read about moving the freight trains to an alternate corridor. That will also require additional money and additional environmental studies of its own. Moving freight trains off this corridor makes this project very complicated and potentially very expensive. Because the corridor is over 100 miles in length, it was already going to be expensive.

Whereas I would prefer local control of this rail project, I think this is one project that might be better for Amtrak to run and control, with Texas financial support.......