Thread: Lima, Peru
View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2020, 2:30 PM

Lima, Peru

I visited Lima last year for the 2nd time.  I first visited back in 2013 with my best friend who was born & raised there (but has lived in the US since the early 90s).  He was getting married last year and opted to have the wedding in Lima to be closer to his family.  It was great to be back! 

After a red-eye from Miami, I landed in Lima on the morning of March 21, checked into my hotel in Miraflores, and promptly set out for coffee and to wander around nearby San Isidro.  Leaving Chicago in March and arriving to this environment was wonderful!   

Is Bosque El Olivar park in San Isidro:   

Elsewhere in San Isidro are numerous parks tucked in the middle of blocks and surrounded by dense condo & apartment buildings. These residences overlooking the parks offer such a peaceful and pleasant oasis in what can be a rather chaotic city sometimes (the traffic is insane).   

Now off to the coast in Miraflores:   

Enjoying the national drink, a pisco sour!   

The next morning, I went on a tour of Congress. A friend of mine whose sister works there arranged for a private tour.   I even got to meet the President of the Congress.  For whatever reason I didn’t take many photos inside the building.   

Outside wandering around the historic downtown area, Plaza de Armas de Lima:   

The Basilica Cathedral of Lima:   

The Basilica and Convent of San Francisco, Lima:   

On Saturday morning I went on a tour of the Huaca Pucllana.  This is located in the middle of Lima and is an actual archaeological dig site.  I’d visited here back in 2013, but only to have dinner at the adjacent restaurant overlooking the dig site.  Definitely was good that I did this tour in the morning because it was quickly heating up under the blazing sun.    

You can see off in the distance some clouds which are indicative of the marine layer and stratus along the coast.   

After sweating it out wandering around the dig site, I promptly headed back to the coast to enjoy the cool comfortable sea breeze and get a break from the sun.  It was refreshing!    

Lunch was two tasty empanadas:   

I’ll share one photo from my friend’s wedding. The dessert table was quite immaculate!    

The next morning I headed off to Neira Café Lab for some coffee:    

Then I walked along the coastline from Miraflores down to Barranco:   

Heading into Barranco.  I loved this neighborhood when I first visited back in 2013 and it was great to be back again!    

Looking back towards Miraflores:    

Continuing down the coast towards central Barranco:    

Heading into Central Barranco:    

Lovely garden setting for lunch:    

Closing out my 4 days in Lima with a beautiful sunset from Miraflores:    

Since I’d already visited Lima 6 years earlier, I opted to spend an extended weekend there before flying south to Chile where I spent the majority of my South American trip.  I visited both Valparaiso and Santiago, as well as toured some amazing vineyards and went on a day trip up into the Andes Mountains.  At some point I’ll post those photos. 

Last edited by OhioGuy; May 17, 2020 at 2:51 PM.