View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molasses View Post
ha! likely true...sometimes I just hope there is more to people arguments...
Frankly, the "walk/bike/Copenhagen" advocates are often very dogmatic and religious. I'm not an urban planning professional, but democracy and city planning, for me, is a utilitarian exercise: how to generate the most happiness for the most people. If some people like living in a condo downtown and walking everywhere, that's great. If some people like living in a 2000 sq. ft house in the suburbs and working on their garden and a classic car in a garage, that's great too. I believe the design of a city shouldn't about be a forcing an external ideology down the throat of its citizens, but adapting the structure to their wants and desires.

I think some posters on this board should walk through a suburb like Briarwood or Erindale on a sunny day. The parks and streets are full of kids, families, joggers, dog walkers and the like. In many ways the suburbs have a better community feel and dynamism l than many of the core neighbourhoods. It's true that a person living in that type of area has to drive to get to the Co-Op for groceries, but that doesn't negate the positive aspects of that living arrangment.