View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 11:29 PM

I remember when...The Center of the Arts was under construction. There was a construction strike part way through, after the major steel had been erected. It sat like that for about a year. It became known as the "the giant monkey bars out by the lake". It was literally out in the middle of nowhere (even more so than now). The nearest buildings were probably the first couple buildings at the new U of R campus, further south, and the old power house across the lake.

Speaking of which, I remember when the Saskatchewan Science Center was a functioning power plant. My grandfather worked there, and occasionally took me on tours inside. Now that was cool!

The lake east of Broad stayed open all winter because the power plant used it for cooling water, and the water that came out of the plant was still warm. There was always a steamy fog hanging over the lake, and the hoarfrost was especially heavy. The Canada Geese that populated the lake quit migrating south for the winter, and the population exploded.