View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 1:31 AM

Quote:
One more point as a native San Antonian: San Antonio is obsessed with the Cowboys supports them in many ways. (Give Jerry Jones credit) As complete outsider, you would have no idea that they are not a local team when watching local TV coverage. SA and Dallas are 275 miles apart.
When the last expansion of the NFL came about, many thought that with Tex Schramm and Tom Landry getting together and trying to get a team in SA, they had an advantage but leave it to JJ to get the NFL owners to vote SA off on the first round and the NFL winds up in Jacksonville and Charlotte both of which have smaller markets then SA. I think it would have been great to have another NFL team in Texas, just like its great to have 3 NBA teams. But because of the $$ that JJ and the Cowboys make from Austin & SA, I think it will be extremely hard for this area to get an NFL team. Personally that's why I don't spend a penny on Cowboy merchandise and when people ask me who my favorite NFL team is, I tell them its whoever plays the Cowboys. I personally feel that JJ put a lot of pressure on Tom Benson not to move the Saints to SA. TB has many connections in SA and would move here at the drop of a hat, but knows that JJ packs a lot of influence and the NFL makes all sorts of excuses not to move to SA. They dont want to be in a small market but NO is a much smaller market than SA (for that matter Austin) and I know that an NFL team in SA would draw from Austin and from South Texas and the Valley. Heck, when the last time the Spurs won the NBA, people in Laredo were going around downtown blowing their horns just like they did here in SA. JJ would stand to loose $$ from South Texas with a team in SA. They Cowboys are training in the Alamodome and I work just two blocks from there but I will not spend my time to go see them. I guess you can tell I'm not a Cowboy fan, and never will. I cant stand to see some of the sportscasters here so go ga-ga over the Cowboys when they are 300 miles north of here. They act as if the Cowboys gave a hoot about SA. Heck we have to pay them to come down here to train.