View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 12:30 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
I've always kind of liked the Alamodome tbh. I wonder if they'd actually tear it down. Seems like it would be a loss to the city because we'd lose a venue for huge stadium tours and I guess UTSA would have to build a football stadium.

I think a sleeper spot for a new Spurs stadium is the huge lot behind the Alamo next to the Rivercenter garage. Close to all the restaurants/bars on Broadway/N Alamo and walking distance to hotels/the riverwalk. I don't think an NBA arena would be tall enough to cast a shadow on the Alamo either lol.
I've always thought that block would be a good place for a city park. But a basketball arena would fit too. And if it were built partially below ground like the Moody Center in Austin, it would absolutely not be visible from in front of the Alamo.

As for the Alamodome, a basketball arena would fit there too, as many on this forum have said. I'd rather build it there and leave the block behind the Alamo for something more public, such as a park. And don't demo the Alamodome; it's being used, just not for an NFL team. If I remember correctly, citizens voted in favor of a 1/2-cent sales tax increase (or something like that) to help fund it in the hopes that it would help draw an NFL team. It would be utterly foolish to fall into that folly again ("fool me once..."). Only build a new stadium if there is a definite reason and with financial support from the team that would profit from using it.