View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post
I think the difference is the weight, size, and cost of the pylons.
Ahhh, so he was gonna just drop them from a helicopter right on the mark in an upright position.

I suspect he'd find that difference to be very, very small if not in the opposite direction once he actually goes into having to actually account for everything. Slippage to allow for thermal expansion? He's gonna allow for thermal expansion along 560 km? Ah, so movable stations?

There is a good 150 years of construction knowledge, engineering, design and research and development behind railways and at least 50 to 60 specifically dealing with HSR.

Of course he doesn't have to start from scratch, but give me a break. Yup, it'll only cost like 6 billion. Yup, you can tunnel for $31 million/km. F service tunnels! My rough back of napkin calculation would lead to about 3/4 - 1 billion for the raw steel alone for the tube - one direction.

Perhaps he's assuming free labour?

The point is the document has very very minimal technical detail, and the devil here is undoubtedly in the details. It's a step beyond, "hey, let's put a tube on some post thingys and shoot things through it."

I'm with the previous couple posts^^