View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
How is this not exactly what Christian groups do? Please... I'd be interested for you to point out how my highlighting what they are "doing wrong" to make me "feel better" is any different than the tactics utilized and what they foist from the pulpit. (hey, I just got to point out another hypocrisy, thanks!).

Secondly, of course I'm not really going down to Steinbach with a sign! I never said I was going to, just that I would "like to." Much like how I'd like to get a BJ from Scarlett Johansson.... I've said it many times, yet it still hasn't transpired.

Please note, if I'm going to do something, I will clearly indicate it. "Like to" is a dream, not a declaration of pending action.

Did Vic ask for forgiveness? Or, is everyone in Steinbach and the Mennonite churches turning a blind eye? Trust me, no asking for the forgiveness of the Provencher electorate has been made. In '06, Vic ran as an old-fashioned moralist, showcasing his family and playing up social values. Liar!

I refer you to my earlier response, as well I'll again mention the sign in front of a Winker church in '06 "A Vote for the Liberals is a Vote for the Devil."

If anything, you've helped to highlight the Christian belief that majority opinion is allowed many enhanced freedoms of speech as opposed to a minority view such as mine. Besides, I'm an obscure internet poster here on SSP. I ask... which is less problematic... me here on an internet forum, or the Winkler sign? What do you find more outrageous?

While I don't vote for the Cons, and I am not a fan of Vic, I do understand your argument as there have been certain MPs or MLAs from parties that I oppose, which I have personally respected the work they have done and their dedication to our country, province, blah blah blah.

Nonetheless, if Vic has read a script handed to him by the PMO that you have agreed with, I suppose that's well worth giving him unquestioned loyalty.

If everyone here put their efforts into something productive and beneficial, we wouldn't be posting to internet forums now would we?

Anyway, will the hard-core Mennonites vote strategically, or will they decide based on their beliefs and vote for the Christian Heritage Party? Guess we'll see!
Well first of all it has to do with intentions, most of the religion groups I know, if they do tell you that you are doing something wrong its not because they want to make themselves feel better its because they want you to understand so that you no longer commit those same "sins" and so that you can be "saved", be able to go to heaven etc. etc. depending on the religion.

They tell you what you are doing wrong for your benefit not for theirs, so this is how it differs from what you are doing; your self gratification is not the same as a religious group wanting to "save" your soul.

Also I mistook your "I would like to" for an "I am going to" my apologies.

As for Vic asking for forgiveness I never said that he did, nor did I say the people would turn a blind eye. You can forgive someone who has not asked for forgiveness, and at the same time you can be fully aware of what was done and not have to pretend it didn't happen.

At no point in time did I suggest your right to freedom of speech should be taken away, so don't start saying that I think religious people deserve more rights then you because that's not what I said. What I was implying is that through your own free will and good judgment I would hope that you would not go do such an act of protest such as march around Steinbach with a sign. By all means if you want to, you are allowed to; I just think that it's the right thing to do, in this situation.

Also I do not condone the sign put forward in that community, I think it was an over characterization of the liberal party, just because I don't approve of your "potential" actions does not bean by default that I approve of theirs.

Also I don't have unconditional support for anyone, everyone makes mistakes. So my support of the Conservatives goes only as far as how much I support each of their decision and actions. Depending on the idea or action, I can strongly support them or completely disagree with them, in the end more of their actions and decision at this point in time line up with what I believe in, so they get my vote this time around. However some of their actions and decisions I don't believe in, I don't think there are very many people that support 100% of what any party wants.

As for being productive I think posting comments on relevant topics that concern our city, province, country and the world we live in is productive. These actions helped to build understanding and knowledge that can be applied to other activities that will result in more noticeable outcomes.

It's just like studying; just because it doesn't give you anything at the moment you doing it doesn't mean it won't affect some outcome or activity latter on in your life.

I'll wait for your response, then I think we should PM this back and forth if you want to from here so that we don't plug up this forum with our philosophical debates