View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerF View Post
Some people are doing it hoping to get more money. Others still don't like the route and are holding onto the dream the the route will change even though a lot of pre-construction work is being done on this route. In my situation both appraisals given to me by highways came back as the exact dollar amount so the land agent told me a judge reviewing it in expropriation probably would not change the land value. He said a judge could change the amount of severance you are paid based on how the highway affects access to the land but at the same time a judge could decide you deserve less money as severance.

I also got information from one of the farmers that is still fighting in court over the land taken for the Pinkie and #1 highway overpass and he says he has been fighting for 6 years and all he has gained is legal bills. I expect the outcome to be no different for the people who are going to try to fight this portion of the bypass as well.
Yes, Legal Bills vs the cost savings end up I would guess more or less equalizing. Making it fruitless. I mean there is a sense of pride and longing to keep the land. I understand that. However, sometimes just better to accept and move on.

However, there are cases where you can win battles too. Such as the Farmers who live at the end of the runway at Narita Airport in Japan. That and the Toho Shrine. The taxiways go around their property and the state built them a road underneath a taxiway to get to their property. Quite comical really, and considering the size of the airport and frequency of landings, noisy as one can imagine:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Nar...6e29a162771aa1

To each their own, but it looks like this is a done deal, they are just tying up "loose ends"

And Hell that is a lot of dirt. But I think we all knew that... Why not remove the pimple from Dundurn? Haha.