View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 10:29 AM
arf

@mcaout: You haven't been around the Regina thread enough to know that any even slightly negative sounding post is treated as witchcraft.

For a lot of the other uses of the dome, other facilities are going to suffer (Agribition Grounds). Part of this balancing act needs to realize that Regina's ability to draw events is based on its size and connections to the outside world (both of these are working against Regina in a lot of ways.) I do believe there are lots of events that Regina can compete for, host and do an excellent job of, but you need to sell that to event organizers.

I would also like people to realize that there are other ways to redevelop the CP railyards outside of a stadium. I'm a big proponent of downtown stadiums (open or closed). I've lived in cities that have done the opposite (Ottawa) and ones that have done them downtown (St. Louis) and the downtown ones are better for atmosphere, accessibility (although I would argue that in Regina accessibilty is only by car at present and it's no longer than 20 minutes for anyone even if they built it in Pense), before and after meetings with friends or clients. If Regina is building a new stadium I think the railyards are an ideal spot.

But I do argue that there are lots of other options for the railyards. What about the downtown theatre we need? What about a second (two city block) park that is a bit more open for events (although I really liked the closed in and intimateness of Victoria Park for the folk festival when I lived in Regina) and what about rebuilding a couple of the connector roads into some mid-rise residential developments? Much as I think the MacKenzie has a great space in the TC Douglas building, what about a permanent stand-alone gallery in the area around the new park?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss