View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:56 PM
DownTowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
^I can't speak for Australia, but I've lived in Canada and the US, and both countries' cities have their appeal.

The appeal of Canada is that you can have a relatively decent standard of living as a middle class individual of average ability. So, sure, Canada does well on livability metrics.

The appeal of the United States is that you can have an exceptional life if you are wealthy but also if you are in the top 10% of skill, ability or in a field where you can apply your intelligence professionally. An exceptional life doesn't just involve money. It also involves being able to flex your intellectual and creative muscle in ambitious, rewarding jobs surrounded by smart, ambitious and curious people. There aren't really official metrics for this, but the feeling is very palpable when you're there.

Generally, though, if you're in the bottom 90% you're better off in Canada. That doesn't stop a lot of foreigners from thinking they're in the top 10% and trying to make it in the US (maybe I was one of them).
Agreed. By the way, I moved to Toronto from US, so I also know the country extremely well.

By the way, not only "a lot of foreigners" but so many american born locals like to pretend they live in or will have someday access to Malibu, but live really in Flint Michigan or Kansas City, Kansas so to speak with no realistic way out. But what else do you have Hollywood for? or SPP in this case, hahaha.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Last edited by PFloyd; Dec 16, 2019 at 7:06 PM.