View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
LVDW touched on this but I don't think many people noticed, we could dramatically increase our green space but the topography and geology of this region isn't working in our favor. The heavy clay subsoil (honestly I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned earlier since there have been a lot of comments about clay soil during foundation excavations) isn't going to allow a lot of absorption in a short span of time. Combine flat land with a thick clay subsoil and you'll get standing water regardless of the level of vegetation.
I think most people on the forum are aware of our subsoil composition from the excavation photos. Nothing about that will change. The water absorption of clay doesn’t diminish the effectiveness of denser vegetation that slows horizontal movement of storm water. There’s a multiplying effect of tree and brush canopies capturing, scattering and evaporating some precipitation. The decomposition that occurs in heavily vegetated area naturally builds up an absorptive topsoil that captures and slows surface runoff