View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post

And I agree about how transformative for the northern side of Old City - it would really create a dense hub of activity that hasn't really existed at this scale before; foot traffic used to die around Elfreth's Alley heading north on 2nd, but things have really changed since the Bridge opened. The quick connection from here to Race St. Pier and the soon-to-open Cherry St. Pier would really give the area that final boost it needs, along with the other big projects in the area that are nearing the homestretch.
Right?

As it stands, there are so many vacant store fronts on the stretch between Arch and Race on 2nd street. I was expecting that we'd see a rash of new business openings on that street after the Bridge opened but it really hasn't changed much. With 218 Arch and the new National (which is turning out to be one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen), there will be a ton more critical mass, assuming they fill up, so maybe that will tip the scales. But the type of population this hotel would bring to that corner could definitely provide the final push to see small business development happen there.

The difference between 2nd street and 3rd street, aesthetically, is a big one. There are trees and nice light posts and cool shops and business on 3rd. 2nd is a long way from that. It seems like it would be relatively easy to make 2nd present like 3rd - trees, light-posts etc - so maybe this will provide that final push.

I live on 2nd between church and arch so I'm REALLY hoping for this one.