View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
If it's wider than it is tall, I wouldn't call it a "skyscraper". I don't think the Boyd Building or the Sterling Building (or the Somerset) are big enough. Even the Bank of Hamilton is just a very fine office block, much like the old GW Life building on Lombard. Skyscrapers were Childs (McArthur), Union Bank, Confederation Life, Union Trust and the Paris Building.
I agree with you, for a building like Cityplace (probably the third most dominant structure in the city skyline after the Legislature and Fort Garry until the 1960's), I wouldn't consider it a historic skyscraper.
I'm trying to look at this question from a historical perspective, and not just how we perceive a historic skyscraper to look, so I'm still wondering if maybe a Winnipegger in 1918 would've thought of Cityplace (or the Somerset, Boyd or Sterling etc.) a skyscraper.
If the height-width ratio is used, then the Grain Exchange Building isn't a historic skyscraper, even though at the time of its construction it would've been the second tallest in the city after Union Bank.