View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 5:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Well, I much prefer the European look of old St. John's to Mount Pearl.

Mount Pearl, to me, looks like what it is - a generic suburb. Commonwealth Avenue is little more than a glorified highway truck stop - hideous buildings behind surface parking lots. Which shouldn't come as a surprise because that's basically what it is - a pit stop for commuters heading to St. John's. It could be absolutely anywhere - and I wish it was anywhere but here.

I think I agree with Marty that Mount Pearl and Paradise are two very different beasts - but I still think they're beasts.

If the architecture of homes in Mount Pearl wasn't so outdated, simple and cheap - and if the main commercial street had more street-front buildings and fewer front surface parking lots (not to mention a little more to offer than truck stop-type amenities), it could pass as a livable city to me.

But, as it is... nope. There's a reason Mount Pearl's own Santa Claus float shows his sleigh on top of colourful rowhouses. It sure as hell would look ugly as **** on a replica of Commonwealth Avenue.

But then... if you don't want to shop in a downtown that is less dense than Elizabeth Avenue, you can always get in your car and drive to the big box development on the fringes.

*Shudder*