View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 5:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah, the cure for that would have been to not build Paradise. Or to have built it smarter...

But you rushed to cash in on the boom by developing as many cookie-cutter subdivisions as you could, people were stupid enough to buy them, and now you get what was absolutely inevitable. Enjoy it. It's your new suburban lifestyle. And it's only going to get worse in the short term...

EDIT: I realize I may seem to react disproportionately to suburban sprawl but... we were, by North American standards, an exceptionally densely-populated small city. We boomed at a time when people already knew better than to construct what we now have in Mount Pearl, Paradise, and elsewhere. We squandered a chance to build a truly world-class small city, to put even Scandinavian planners to shame, and decided instead to erect the same shit mainland cities have been trying to CORRECT for two decades already. Instead of leading, we're still building, in 2013, what, when completed, will set us 20 years behind. It's an absolute disgrace. It's one of the biggest wasted opportunities in our island's history. I mean, our council still can't decide if new developments should be forced to have any ****ing trees. Come on, b'ys... pathetic.

Sorry but I have to disagree with what you are saying somewhat...... for the reason that we built what people wanted us to build. Residents were and still are afraid of change.

As for Mount Pearl......they are years ahead of where St. John's is as a city. As one poster put it, take St. John's out of the picture and Mount Pearl are almost an Ideal city (minus the hospital).

Not everything HAS TO LOOK iconic or European. IN fact I think that is one of the major problems we have here today, we want everything to look a certain way in design. What looks good in Europe will not necessarily look good over here and same goes with what looks good in Toronto will not always look good down here.