View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 1:17 AM

Just did a day trip in Muskoka. Stopped in Bala, Gravenhurst, Bracebridge, Huntsville and Port Carling.

Gravenhurst was very mediocre but I heard that's the best spot for outdoorsy stuff. Bala is kind of a cute downtown you might say. Bracebridge and Huntsville are nice. I was particularly impressed by Bracebridge. It was packed with people and cars for some reason. Port Carling is quite new it seemed so doesn't have that charm yet.

Huntsville is the biggest of the towns but well north of Gravenhurst and Bracebridge. I was surprised by that.

I was also surprised by how many towns start with "Port". When I hear Port I think of the Great Lakes like Port Hope, Port Credit, Port Dover, Port Stanley or BC like Port Alberini or Port Coquitlam. A bunch of Port names in ON and BC. Places that are or were important commercial shipping hubs on massive waterways and bodies of water. I don't picture tiny villages on Muskoka lakes being "ports" even if there were on a very micro scale over a hundred years ago for native and perhaps some colonial trade.

Last edited by megadude; Sep 16, 2019 at 1:28 AM.