View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife View Post
Here are the three histories of Newfoundland and St.John's that I know of:

1)History of Newfoundland: Judge Prowse > Lots of interesting stuff here, articles and documents of every type and description, very pro the Devonshire west-countrymen

2)As near to heaven by sea: Kevin Major > Probably the most readable history.

3)The Oldest City: Paul O'Neill > Centered on St. John's, some really good bits but because of the way it's laid out not very readable.

P.S I guess the Encyclopedias made by Smallwood might also qualify but I've never seen them so I can't comment.
D.W. Prowse is an excellent history, though notably dated being over 100 years old. The Encyclopedias are very informative, but they date to around 1980, or earlier for some information, so even they have fallen down a bit on their relevancy. Still give a great depiction of Newfoundland pre-moratorium though.

I recommend, "A Short History of Newfoundland and Labrador" published by the Newfoundland Historical Society in 2009. All the authors are current/former faculty members in the history department at Memorial & Grenfell. It only runs about 150 pgs and costs about $20.

And, "Newfoundland and Labrador: A History" by Sean Cadigan, current department head of history at Memorial. It runs about 300 pgs and covers from pre-discovery native peoples up to 2003. Can't remember what I paid for this one though.