View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2010, 11:46 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Ummm, I think you guys are completely wrong. I bet most hockey players love the attention they get in smaller and/or hockey mad markets. It's kind of like being a rock star.

I agree that playing in smaller markets has it's obvious draw backs, but being a big fish in a small pond certainly isn't one these guys complain about, in fact I would wager it's what they strive for.
What frink already said. There are countless examples of players who have outright stated that they do not enjoy the pressure of playing in a Canadian market, especially the small markets where their life becomes subject to a magnifying glass. Dany Heatley is another guy who's consistently avoided the spotlight throughout his career (for obvious reasons).

Quote:
A lot of players in the AHL that come to the Moose appreciate playing here simply for the fact they actually GET attention in the press.
Entirely different situation. Guys in the "A" do everything they can to get their names out there, because for the most part they're still trying to make the big time. Once a player hits the NHL full time, who cares about press attention? You've already got your million dollar contract, and it's all about your numbers from there.

Quote:
These are professional athletes we are talking about. If they didn't have a "me me me" complex, they would never develop and play at the highest levels.
I think you may have your sports confused. Most pro hockey players I've met are pretty humble guys who don't actually want their being fellated by Hillary Duff to be all over the Internet the next day. They just want to play a game they love, make some damn good money doing it, and have the world leave them alone. This isn't basketball or football where a player's outlandish off-field antics are half of what makes them a star.

There's more than enough proof that a lot of hockey players like to stay out of the spotlight. It's why they keep signing down south over larger offers up here.