Thread: The Dad Thread
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
This could be a description of me. I'm also an X-ennial (right on the cusp between the two where I don't quite fit with Millennials or Gen Xers) I'll be 40 this year (Fuck that's scary to admit!). I have a 3 year old and a 4 mth old. The work schedule sounds similar, though mine is even more limited due to other needs / circumstances. It's a good thing I work for family (even though the strain is at a breaking point right now) as I couldn't do a regular job. There is literally not enough time in the day to get everything done. I'm up until midnight many nights catching up on housework. My son has a speech delay and has required extra help and attention. My wife has had multiple medical issues with pregnancy and post partum. Life right now feels like a combo of a meat grinder / marathon sprinkled with small moments of joy with the kids. Marital life is non existent. It's kids 24/7. Spent the entire Halloween weekend building a toddler bed as the baby and 3 year alternated screaming and my wife needed help with other things. I literally don't have enough hands or time to deal with all the fires that are simultaneously burning at any given point.
That sucks, man. It sounds like you have it worse than me, and I'm not exactly having a great time.

Luckily, I think having two kids under 4 is the worst phase of parenting. I've heard the teenager thing, too, but right now I'd just value time to do anything, even if it means getting ignored or having doors slammed in my face.

I have a friend who has kids that are now 7 and 9. When he was where we were now, I'd have to buy him beers during that once every half year that I could see him to let him drown his sorrows. Now when I see him, he's in such a great mood. The last time we were together he had a little too much to drink and revealed a bit too much info on his sex life, which - to cut out the details - sounds like it's going through a second honeymoon phase.