View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
I am looking forward to the opening of Line 2 in Ottawa. It will make Ottawa the 4th largest city to have direct rail transport to the airport.
Well, I wouldn't call it direct. It will be a three train ride to Downtown. The pre-Confederation Line bus was faster and more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I didn't realize Trillium line trains come into the station with bells clanging like a passenger train on a mainline railroad.

The UPX trains do this, too, although they are not separated from regular train infrastructure the way that the Trillium line is.

This makes me wonder what things are going to sound like at major GO train stations once RER is up and running. They do this at Union right now, but it's not in a residential area and the sound is muffled by the train shed. At stations like Liberty Village there will be a constant clanging of bells as trains enter and exit every few minutes. This may seem like a minor detail, but it is noise pollution and in a lot of applications (like the O train), I don't see how this North American rule makes the platform any safer than regular rapid transit where the trains enter without ringing bells.
Trillium Line runs on a Federally regulated rail line. That's why we still require the bell. Confed uses the bell when it's in manual drive mode, but it's not as annoying (kind of sounds like someone's touching the bell while it rings).