View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 12:17 AM

While the Greatest State in all the Land has many great courthouses, we have some bad ones, too. My family owns companies in both Houston and Corpus Christi, so I travel between the two cities quite often. I swear, that's the worst stretch for bad courthouses (ie new, 1950's)...

Edna (Jackson County)

Port Lavaca (Calhoun)

Bay City (Matagorda)

Rockport (Aransas)

Fortunately Wharton County's is being restored to its original grandeur.

before

after

I'm fortunate enough to have been born in, and gone to college in counties with what many consider the 2 worst in the state:

Ector County Courthouse (Odessa)

Brazos County Courthouse (Bryan)

The Hill County Courthouse burned in the early '90s and was rebuilt as the former version:

Fort Bend County (suburb of Houston) and Hays County (home to Texas State U.) are awefully similar...I think I read the same architect designed them...

Fort Bend

Hays

In addition to the one in Hillsboro (Hill County), here are a few more good ones:

Grimes County (Anderson)...I predict this will be a future weekend hamlet for Houstonians...and it's a courthouse circle, not a courthouse square

Caldwell County (Lockhart)

Lee County (Giddings)...built on the highest point in the county...between Austin & Houston on US 290

Parker County (Weatherford), just west of Ft. Worth

Palo Pint County (Palo Pinto)...just west of Weatherford...went to junior high in this county...not necessarily the best

Victoria County (Victoria)...I have pictures of this with snow from '04 Christmas

Hood County (Granbury)...very popular area for antiques

Fayette County (La Grange)...damn you Marvin Zindler!!! This was recently renovated...there's an atrium in the center of the building and when you're close up you can see the sunlight in the middle of the building

I hope the pictures posted properly...I think this is the first or second time I've put pictures in a post.