View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Echoes my general thoughts on this as well. Moncton likely could have done better with this property. The impact on the street is there but the height could have been doubled under the right circumstances.
The key there is "the right circumstances".

I too am disappointed that this building couldn't be at least another couple of floors taller, but I think the city is still in the "beggars can't be choosers" phase of stimulating downtown development.

I imagine city planners felt that it was critically important to get something architecturally pleasing built on the old Bay parking lot. I have no idea how much competition there was for the RFP on this lot, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Corey Craig wasn't the only company that was nibbling. It may have been this, or else leave the parking lot fallow for another 5-6 years.

Despite the short stature of this building, I like the styling, and the fact that the hotel will be built out to the sidewalk line means there is increased massing and street presence. The outdoor parking also doesn't particularly bother me (in this single instance), just because it is hidden in behind the hotel next to the CNR mainline. The hotel parking lot will be almost invisible.

I think this hotel will complement the Avenir Centre reasonably well. It certainly won't overpower it, and will provide a satisfactory eastern enclosure for the plaza space in front of the Avenir Centre and the Ian Fowler Oval.

Let's hope we can generate more height in the other projects rumoured to be coming to the neighbourhood. It's also critically important that we get Crombie REIT moving on refurbishing 1222 Main, and developing the space between 1222 Main and the Avenir Centre. This space is just as important in complementing the Avenir Centre as is the Hyatt Place Hotel.