View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:12 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If Oklahoma City, Sacramento, and Salt Lake City are able to have an NBA team why shouldn’t the 7th Largest City in the US have one? San Antonio would never let something like that happen.
Nobody cares about being the "7th Largest 'City'" in the U.S. It really means very little to the business community. I wish we'd stop using it. Businesses (of all sorts) look more at the overall size of the market - which is mainly how many people are there in the metro or CSA. And in the case of sports - how many TV sets are in a specific market. I don't have the numbers right in front of me, but, San Antonio is in the mid-20's in terms of overall population when compared to other metros (and even CSA's).

San Antonio is also roughly the 30th largest TV market in the U.S. Places like Raleigh and Nashville are bigger TV markets.

So, being the 7th Largest City really means very little. Heck, Miami (City) has a population about 465,000 - yet has a professional team in all of the major sports. That's because Miami has the 16th largest TV market and ranks in the Top 10 in overall metro/CSA population.