View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 1:21 PM

As seen in the Turner Drake & Partners Ltd June survey, it appears that our Class A office vacancy is sitting at only 3.88%. Which is the lowest in the Maritimes. Anything under 5% is deemed as full, because what's available would be fragmented smaller spaces throughout the city, and not suitable for a company of a large size. Yes - overall vacancy rates in GSJ are high. But a part of that is because of the current restructuring and movement of the City Hall building (Class B - 16.57%) Class C is very high at at 39.41%. However, the Fundy Quay development would be Class A, which is exactly what we are lacking at the moment.

Class A vacancy rates for other cities in our region;

Saint John - 3.88%
Moncton - 6.30%
St. John's - 6.65%
Halifax - 7.00%
Fredericton - 7.13%

Also - Regarding the highest apartment vacancy rates - Not a fair statement. Yes, I'm aware of what reports say. However, if one eliminates all of the shacks from the North, and South End from that data, what would our true vacancy rate be? A lot of the apartments in those areas are sitting vacant because they are complete dumps that are not fit to live in. In my office, there's always many people moving to the city for work, and not a soul has moved to the North End. Can't say I blame them.