View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:33 PM

Usually when I bike home to Norwood from the East Exchange, I take Bannatyne to Ellen/Carlton (I hit the Snap on Portage), then Assiniboine home.

Decided to take take the new route that leads to Garry – what an absolute confusing mess. Logic would have you take a (blind turn) left off Bannatyne onto Arthur, where you'd ride on the right side. For some bizarre reason on Arthur south of McDermot, there's an opposite-direction NB lane on the left that's extremely poorly marked and unintuitive – have yet to see anyone using it in the right direction. Continuing, when you get to Notre Dame, you'd have to cross sides or turn left in front of vehicles that may be going right.

When you get to the insane mess that is the new intersection of Garry/Ellice/Notre Dame (seriously, they made it as complex as possible, ND should just have a single stop line set back a bit), all the bike signage and signals are designed to vehicle standards: so large and high up you can barely even figure out what's going on.

On top of that when you make the signalled left onto Notre Dame from Arthur, it's such a quick turn to make the right to cross the street (and there's no warning signage) that it almost baits you into turning directly into moving traffic.

I don't understand what's going on at traffic services – it's like their designing on the map without ever even trying to figure out in real life (or testing, for that matter) what the end result is. I can't imagine someone there actually tried biking these routes and came to the conclusion that it's all fine. This has to be changed – all this new cycling investment is great, but the signage (for pedestrians, cyclists, and vehicles) is atrocious. It's like they're asking for accidents so these can fail and they can go back to simpler jobs.