View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 4:54 PM

This should be an area of drastically more development, due to the hideous original. More skyscrapers would really create a contrast, and would it really be so bad to mix more office into the Upper East Side? The neighborhood around that area isn't quite as residential as most of the UES and I'm sure people would love to commute such a short distance (rents are actually cheap--Manhattan standards--past the upper 80s). I would think developing new CBD corridors, particularly around 125th street, which would really make Manhattan awesome, should be a priority... although obviously the far West Side is getting the most attention right now.

I really see no reason why 125th street isn't developed more--it would serve as an excellent node for commuters from the Bronx and the NY suburbs of NYC, and relieve pressure on Manhattan south of 96th street (or just open the entire island to massive growth). Most of Manhattan north of 96th street is incredibly underutilized, and it would really be intelligent of our political leaders to begin capitalizing on that potential. Why not put the new tunnel from NJ into a brand new rail station in the middle of Harlem?