View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
Wow, cool pics! Yeah, the VCR and HBO. Netflix and Hulu are killing modern theaters...and cable and network TV. Technologies change things for better or worse. I like to reminisce like everyone, but I'm just as much to blame as anyone else. I see a movie in a theater maybe once every year or two and that's about it, and that's only when I want to see something on the big screen like Avengers or Batman.
Yeah, me too. We complained about the movies costing 8 bucks. Someone told me recently they paid 13 dollars! I haven't kept up with movie prices. Last movie I saw in a "Movie" was Independence Day...so you know how long that's been. If the Movies weren't so damn expensive, maybe they could have held on for a little while longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
I saw Yul Brynner at the Erlanger in a play called Ulysses (1980s)
The movie Cleopatra at the Stanley(1960 or 1961)

I saw the FOX demolished to make way for the PNC building.
Yeah, I remember that. I was living at 16th & Green going to Junior College at the time. The last movie I saw(at the Fox) was "From Russia With Love". My Dad took me and my brother (when we were kids). That was in 1963. My Mom used to tell me the Erlanger was the most beautiful theaters ever. I can't imagine the movie prices back then, but my Mom used to give me a quarter, and tell me to tell them I was 11 years old. (I was 12). Kids (under 12) got in for a quarter and adults was 50 cents. That was the Nixon Theater in West Philly where I grew up.....Gosh, the memories.....