View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 4:29 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
That's a lot of heritage and character to lose in the inner city in the past few months. First, the Vesta apartment off Sargent. Second, the eternally cursed apartment block on Maryland near St. Matthews. Third, the Hekla block on Toronto St. Now we got the Scott Memorial block obliterated. Upcoming, the destruction of half a block of Stradbrook and the continual assault of the housing stock on Wellington Cres. Winnipeg is known across at least Western Canada for its character buildings, and with each one being torn down they aren't exactly being replaced with anything as they disappear (hello Shanghai building!!). At least the Fortune Block partially makes up for it each time one passes by....
I mean, if tenants would stop hot-knifing their apartments to the ground, along with that Armour company actually investing money into proper electrical wiring that isn't from the 1940s (amongst other things)... these apartment razings & heritage losses wouldn't be anywhere near as bad.

As for Wellington, are we talking the mansion losses? I don't necessarily mind the mansion losses, as long as medium or high-rise takes its place. Wellington Crescent is perfect for a bunch of high-rises & European-style developments. Even a Soviet-esque high density block, would be a drastic improvement over someones "summer home" while they're out in Costa Rica, ripping nickels and dimes out of the pockets of Manitobans... if its one of the nicer mansions, I'd like to see maybe some boutique stores, 529 Wellington-esque steakhouses, art galleries and stuff. But the rest of it? Medium and high density housing. With an emphasis on balconies facing the river.