View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 7:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
View, I really can't agree. I guess it's because I like this building as it is (not sure about the glass color because I'm not sure what it is). This strikes me as radically unlike most other H-M buildings which usually have an odd mix of glass areas and some other surface (the two you like--Infinity and 555 Mission--are the other two prominent exceptions). Also, I'd rather NOT see any coordination between the designs of the very tall buildings in the TransBay Area. I sure don't want it to look like some kind of overgrown planned community. I've said before that I like cities that grow organically, one building at a time based on one inspiration at a time. Let Piano do his thing, SOM (hopefully) do theirs and, (crossing all fingers and toes) H-M do theirs if they get the commission.
I love this building, it exudes power, and masculinity and femininity at the same time, which is rare in a building this tall. I don't think it needs to be tweaked too much, or at all, but the glass could either make or break this design. The Infinity Green and Intercontinental blue are great- for their respective personalities and locations, but I don't want more buildings like these early iMac colors because, unlike a computer, you have to live with a building for 100 or more years.

As far as planning at the ground level, I think that each building should be distinct in its own ways, but in a way that still brings its neighbors together and doesn't single or exclude any one place out. I don't think it should look like one big planned community, with all the bases of these towers looking exactly the same and therefore "planned," but instead a bunch of little communities, block by block, coming together.