View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
at any published or estimated rate for the cost of car ownership, it's actually not cheaper to drive. those estimates range from 50 to 70 cents per mile. or 400-500 dollars round trip. only cheaper with three people in the car.

if you assume you already own the car, and only factor depreciation, wear and tear, and gas, it still requires two people in the car to make it cheaper.

it's a tragedy the way HSR has gone down here; two regions with 26 million people total and another couple million between them in one of the richest places in the world ought to be able to build a 400 mile rail line.
Yeah but poor people don't care about depreciation and long-term cost. They can't afford to worry about those things.

And yes, most people travel with more than themselves. In the real world many people have families.

If I fly from Norfolk to Memphis, it will cost me between 300-500 for a RT ticket. If I drive it will cost me about 120 in gas. Even if you add in an oil change(60 bucks) I am up to 180 dollars. Most people will take this if the timing makes sense.