View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Definitely not illegal. I grill every week on my highrise Chicago balcony. Our building does not allow charcoal though. I have heard some do (but it's rare and HOA contingent).
Here is the Florida law. They actually just legalized small electric "grills" for balcony use in 2018 but gas and charcoal and any decent sized grills are against the fire code. Basically hot plates were legalized for outdoor use.
Quote:
The current edition of the Code is based on the 2015 NFPA 1 Fire Code. With respect to cooking equipment, Section 10.10.6.1 prohibits using or kindling hibachis, grills, or other similar devices for cooking, heating, or any other purpose on any balcony, under any overhang portion, or within 10 feet of any structure, other than in one and two-family dwellings. However, Section 10.10.6.1.1 allows listed electric portable, tabletop grills, or other similar apparatus, so long as they do not exceed 200 square inches of cooking surface.
One more thing, it would be illegal to grill (or even store a grill) within 10 feet of one of your Chicago 3-flats if they were in Florida. They are only legal in one or two family dwellings.