View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:18 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
The problem is that Regina is no longer in the planning stage, which Winnipeg seems to still be ironing out. The upgrades are already underway and our inland port has received a shot in the arm from CP rail as well as Loblaws who has committed to building a distribution centre, one million square feet in size and which will bring 1700 jobs to Regina.

Not saying both can't exist, but it seems as if Regina has already secured a number of tenants. Does that harm Winnipeg's chances? I don't know for certain, but it can't help.

The next step is realigning rail tracks. The CPR line runs north of the airport. With more cargo arriving by air from Asia and Europe, goods can be off-loaded to rail cars and shipped east, west or south.

I don't think Regina will be able to compete with Winnipeg in any meaningful way. Regina only serves one national raiway.... While Winnipeg serves CN, CP, OmniTrax and a few US rail companies.

The development of Winnipeg's port is also on its way...
Quote:
The CentrePort process has already begun.

Two big things Manitoban's will notice first are improvements to roads. Inkster Boulevard will be twinned from Oakpoint Highway to the Perimeter Highway. The $68-million project, co-funded by Ottawa, will allow truckers to get in and out of the city faster and safer.

Last week, Ottawa and Manitoba pledged $85 million to fixing up Highway 75 from the Emerson border north to Morris. The project is also being done, in part, to deal with heavier truck traffic heading north and south.

The next step is realigning rail tracks. The CPR line runs north of the airport. With more cargo arriving by air from Asia and Europe, goods can be off-loaded to rail cars and shipped east, west or south.

Source: Free Press

Add in the 6 rail yards already in the city of Winnipeg handling massive amounts of goods. east-west and north-south.

Winnipeg's relation to major US markets .... and access to the Mid Continient Corridor makes Winnipeg's port much more marketable.

But like you said I am sure there is room for both ... I would still expect Winnipeg to get the overwelming majority of trade though.

Last edited by newflyer; Sep 19, 2008 at 6:39 AM.