View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:17 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I agree that Churchill is a small port today. It would have to grow to handle increased trade.. and the Feds are investing in it to increase its capacity. It will have to see continious expansion, as demand dictates. The fact as Global Warming takes hold that port will see increased shipping seasons. With the large cost & time savings of using that northern Port over Vancouver .. it won't take much convincing to use it. The only thing which is holding it back is limited capacity and a limited shipping season.

The large Cargo Jets can now go from China to Winnipeg directly.. and they actually had planes land into Winnipeg this week from China. Once again the lack of capacity is holding expansion of trade at bay.

The Mid Contiient Corridor has seen massive growth of Trade in the last 15 years. The border at Highway 75 is the second busiest in Western Canada. This is not "made up by marketing people" .. it is a very large corridor and is rapidly growing trade route which is also reaching its capacity limit. It links the US mid-west .. Texas and Mexico to the Canadian market and vice versa.. Hardly a small amount of trade.

Winnipeg is a hub .. which needs an infussion of investment to increase its ability to handle more trade. Its that simple.
a lot of those things are pretty big if's....if global warming kicks in enough we can use churchill...if someone spends billions to build a port there....if the chinese decide to fly planes here....i dunno man.

i would have to see numbers to verify that the mid continent trade corridor actually exists...does manitoba do more trade with mexico and texas than other provinces?...do goods from mexico bound for other places in canada actually come to winnipeg first?...seems unlikely....then what...down the two lane trans canada to toronto?

if you drew a line straight down from calgary wouldnt there be a trade corridor there?....probably a bigger one....how about a straight line down from vancouver toronto or montreal?....now those seem like trade corridors....what goods are traded between texas, mexico and manitoba?