View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Here's an interesting article from Independent (which usually drives me nuts).
http://theindependent.ca/2015/02/02/...on-tax-is-now/
Sorry for going off this topic, but I'd like to use this post to broach another.

Whether you (general you, not you PoscStudent) like the Independent or not, whether you think the positions of their articles are fringe or representative, reasonable or bonkers, I hope you can agree that having news media free from commercial or political ties is invaluable in a functional democracy. Publishing with the Independent is way more accessible, for the average citizen, than going through one of the more established media, such as the CBC, NTV, VOCM, and the Telegram (outside letters to the editor or open line, at least).

In fact, I think it would be amazing for folks here to write and submit pieces on urban design and development. Articles may tend to lean further left than the norm, but seriously, don't let that stop you. Outside the editors, their regular and irregular writers are all volunteers, so any bent is perhaps more indicative of the passion behind their causes than an overall political one. I also believe that they, and the left, are not against urban development. The folks opposing dense housing in Kenmount Terrace are almost certainly not left-wingers; NIMBYs can come from all stripes. Basically, I would be very interested in reading your thoughts on development, and proposals for smarter growth, and I think the Independent would be interested in publishing them. I'm actually working on a related project (not through the Indy), but more on that later.

On those notes, I'm just going to suggest that anyone interested in this, any of the articles published by the Independent, or the Independent's goals donate to their fundraiser, which officially ends tomorrow:
http://theindependent.ca/goindy2015/
No matter your political views, independent media has awesome potential. This is especially relevant to politics with the upcoming provincial and federal elections. For the record, I have no affiliation with the Independent (other than knowing they operate on very little money).

Last edited by overboard; Feb 14, 2015 at 5:16 PM.