View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 8:38 AM
low life in a tall place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
I agree but we are talking about the mega projects. China will eventually take a run at the worlds tallest building, and I'm sure it won't be by a few feet or so. But they will surpass it by a huge margin. Say the first 1000m tower?

With the infrastructure projects happening around China currently, it would be the single largest project ever built. If it was all one project instead of broken up into many smaller but still huge projects.

Until China does something along the lines of the islands of Dubai or the channel tunnel it just isn't in the eyes of everyday people around the world.
Well, to compare Dubai's islands with the Chunnel is not really realistic.
The islands of Dubai (well, all projects in Dubai) are built in order to get attention from the rest of the world, whereas the Chunnel (or the Öresund Bridge etc.) is a very important infrastructural project for Western Europe, and not built to say "look, here we are!".

I highly doubt that China would built something that expensive or wasteful such as artificial islands or 1000+ towers in the near future just to get recognition.
Why? Because China does not need recognition.

This doesn't mean that China has built/are building/planning huge projects such as the Three Gorges Dam (as you mentioned), massive infrastructural projects such as huge metro systems in numerous cities, massive bridges, the world's only Maglev train lines, brand new hyper-modern airports in almost every major city, the Beijing Olympics, as well as completely new cities to accomodate the 400 million people that are moving from rural areas in to urban areas - the biggest mass move of people in human history.

All these projects are indeed justified and built because they are a necissity.
Building artificial islands or space elevators just for show is not what China will do in a forseeable future - such projects belong to Dubai.

Quote:
Three Gorges has been under construction for years, and very few people in North America even know of this project.
Very few people in North America know anything about the outside world...