View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:54 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Not necessarily specific to Chicago, but what are some thoughts on the three democratic candidates for governor and how do they compare to Rauner? No one in the running has wowed me, personally.

Biss is back on the "LaSalle St. Tax" and suggesting we rethink our Amazon bid. There's definitely some sense in reevaluating the costs/benefits of the HQ2 pursuit, but the LaSalle St. tax is ridiculous IMO.
The LaSalle St. Tax is worse than ridiculous, it would destroy Chicago. Okay, that may be a little hyperbole, but it would be a rather crushing blow to a core Chicago industry, likely driving the exchanges out of the City and State and with them all the spin-off companies they generate. I can name dozens of startups just off the top of my head that are here because they were founded by traders or other people affiliated with the exchanges - people who would leave Chicago if the exchanges did, people with a lot of money that does important financial things for the entire area.

What's wrong with Pritzker? I hope you're not believing that Rauner-backed ad implying that Pritzker was doing something nefarious with Blago?

I got to see Pritzker speak several weeks ago, and I know several people who are close to him because of their involvement with 1871 and I've only heard great things about him:

Photo by me
[/SIZE]