View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 7:35 AM
Capitalist

I agree with Urban Planner.. Winnipeg's highway system is nearly non-existant. This has been possible primarily due to the high volume corridores like Portage ave, Main Street and Pembina Hwy. As the city continues to grow in population and industrial infrastructure the city expressway system and the main highways flowing into the city will need to be upgraded significantly. The designation as the only primary inland port in Canada will be the driver of many upgrades.

Its not even a mater of weither it will happen ... it is happening and will continue to happen to much larger extent in the future. Chief Peguis expansion, Route 90 widening from Sterling Lyon to the St.James Bridge, a new expressway through the new Centreport, the planned extension of the Charleswood Parkway, the planned extention of Route 90 to the Perimetre and eventual link to Hyw 75, the planned Headingly bypass... ect ect. As the city draws towards a million people there will be many more expanded roadways and interchanges to come.

Yes Winnipeg has a ways to go to catch up to many other cities in transportation infrastructure, but things will be changing in the years to come. Eliminating traffic lights on the Perimetre will be a great achievement, but I think the inner ring road (Route 90, Bishop, Lag and Chief Peguis) will be the higher focus, as it handles higher traffic levels.

I also don't buy into the lack of funding theory, as Manitoba has more then enough money to spend on a vast array of over budget projects. With proper management Manitoba would be well on its way to having much better infrastructure.