View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 5:00 PM

Okay, maybe I over reacted, I'll reduce the size of that type. The same thing happened on SSC a month ago when a bunch of Dubai forumers started pooping all over the LVT thread for no reason at all except petty rivalry.

As for the design, personally, I'm extremely board with the over-sized box shapes of most of the mega hotels in Vegas, which is the usual criticism leveled at us by architecture fans (read the reactions to the Echelon rendering in the Las Vegas thread), and the LVT shape breaks that mold in a very major way without using a hokey themed gimmick. Regardless of what you think of the design, the mechanics of the building are very logical. "The LVT structure is composite steel and concrete for reasons of both speed and cost." "It is a tripod, which is the most efficient structural shape for a super-tall building". With 3,975 rooms and 4.5-million square feet of floor space (including the podium), efficiency is very import. "This shape also maximizes curtain wall area, minimizes view conflicts, and minimizes walking distances for guests." "The sky lobbies, represented by bands around the tower, sit above, and physically adjacent to, the MEP floors. These MEP floors contain the elevator overrides for the stacks below, along with all MEP equipment for the stack." "Each sky lobby serves approximately 60 floors with five lower and five upper-zone single-cab elevators serving approximately 30 floors each. This organization allows the express elevators to drop away above the sky lobby they serve, and for the locals to share the same shafts in each of the three tiers (so there are three tiers, containing two zones each, for a total of six zones). This is an extremely efficient organization which reduces the core size to about 40% of what it would otherwise be."