View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 11:10 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
Ah, nothing was finer than taking Friday afternoons off to go shooting pool. I did this for about three years. I started out getting a note from my Mother, so I could go to the Doctor or Dentist, coupled with the 'was sick' notes to the school. I later started my own collection, in which I ranged from, taking care of a sick aunt; to having to go out of town. I was the comic relief for the teachers of my school, I'm sure they were taking bets on what I would come up with next. I even made the mistake one day of getting my dates mixed up and showing up for class to their amazement; " what are you doing here?"

In my younger day I used to troll the pool rooms from downtown to the 'burbs, looking for a new game. I played with the old guys at King George, down in the basement behind Mitchell-Copp on Hargreave. Waiting and watching for a couple of weeks, while I learned the game of 'skittles' from the English masters. I was called in to play when one of the regs didn't show up. It was a game that made you understand, weight, angles and banks.

I played the basement at Saratoga and watched the great one's hone their skills on the best that Winnipeg had to offer. When Vic, 'the stick' Johnstone brought Chenier to town in the early 60's, Brunswick's Glamour Boy dazzled the wannabee's with his trick shots and brisk style of play during the day. At night, when the paying customers where gone, the real money games started. I can still remember seeing Georges sitting in silence as Merle D ran the table on him, re-racked, and ran the table to the 5 ball, George just walked over and put a G-note in Merle's hand and said good night.

There was the Strand on Garry, next to the Garrick theatre. A very productive pool room that catered to the office worker at noon, the street kids in the afternoon and the 'Fedora- crew' at night. The 'commish' was just around the corner at Ellice and Donald where everyone stopped at before dropping in to shoot stick. The small snack shop at the front did a brisk business selling bars, gum, smokes and mix, while it was open till 10, everything was available for players when required. The big tables offered plenty of room to stretch, the felt was tight and groomed, the cushions were live and it was home for several years. Practice was a two bucks an hour, and any prospects for a game that the proprietor found for you, ended up with a 'fin' or a 'saw-buck' in the corner pocket for ole Bill. Valet parking was available if you had a good night and the Rupert Street street car was there for those who didn't keep the peace.

One of the nicer two table pool halls was AAC on Arlington at Flora. Pop's on Tache was convenient until the Big Snow of Feb./60 caved in the roof. Esquire and the 'Rio' were nice downtown halls that catered to the workingman. It would be a sin if I didn't mention Obee's Pool Hall, a North End Tradition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel30 View Post
I couldn't believe it when I saw mention of this establishment. My great uncle John Clark McConnachie was the proprietor there from 1912-1930. I'm the family historian and have been trying to find out more information about him and his place. You seem to know something about it and I'd love to hear where I could find out more. I've Google Mapped the street address which was 334 Portage, right near Hargrave, but of course everything looks different today. Obviously the old building was torn down and the landscape quite changed. Can you or anyone else on the link tell me what they know? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Happen to know an Ken Creed by any chance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
As I said before, King George was in the rear portion of the Mitchell-Copp building, just on the north side of the back lane (South side of the lane was the old Eaton's parkade). The facade on the entrance was a deep maroon tile, with a silver canopy, a step up from the sidewalk to a terrazzo floor extended inside the building foyer. A neon side stood in the window next to the front door. The doors were double oak doors with brass hardware (similar to Eatons) at one time, then went to aluminum store front. The flight of stairs down to the basement were purpose built, not an aftermarket type and they blended in with the plaster walls and wainscot. The basement height was over 8 feet, but less than 10 at where you walked in. The pipe smoke occupied the upper two feet near the ceiling and the overhead lights flooded the eight 6 X 12 tables. Heavy wooden benches with green leather seats skirted the perimeter walls. Common cue racks stood in the entrance area by the coat racks and private locked cue racks for regulars were housed under the stairs.

The players that frequented the establishment were mostly of English descent and the cockney accents sounded foreign at first, but you gradually got used to them and eventually you spoke them back, if you stayed long enough. Clientel was mostly Eaton's employees during the day, and office staff, lawyers, and downtown business people took over after 5:30. Typically, on payday (Thursday), a group would go to Moore's restaurant at N/E Portage and Donald for dinner, wander down to the 'Commish' for a couple mickeys of Haig & Haig or Gilbeys, and then go to the George for an evening of billiards. Those that went to the St. Regis for a few jars of bitters and beer, or an ale or two, were usually in by 6:30/7:00, and were somewhat more boisterous than the others than went to Moore's. Arguments and bickering were part of the atmosphere and were essentially, 'good sport' for the blokes that played there.

The fellow that racked the balls was the man-in-charge when on duty. Not only did he rack and polish the balls, he cleaned the felt, kept count of the runs, and announced 'game ball' for the big money tables. If you wanted to get in to the game, you passed him a fin and waited for a player to retire or over-spent the evening, to be called in to play. If the night was favourable for you, another fin would make you getting a game next time more pleasurable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
he's my step-grandpa actually! heard he used to be around the pool halls alot around the 1960s, thus how he learned to play
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel30 View Post
Its great hearing about the pool hall. The descriptions of it are so detailed and I can practically see it, smell it and hear the sounds - in my mind. Thanks for the history. I'm no stranger to pool halls myself, having frequented and played in the Verdun Montreal area from around 1990-2000. I gather that you were at the King George around the 1960's. When was it closed? Does anyone know anything about John McConnachie, the guy who would have racked up the balls etc between 1910-1930, who died in 1930?
My very close uncle, who worked nearby in Eaton's Basement, was known to supplement his 1950s income with the occasional lunchtime round of pool.

I'm going to print this out to see if it brings back any memories for him.