View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 5:27 PM

I was born and raised in Whitmore Park, so I've got fond memories of South Albert in the 80's. I remember when...

...Dairy Queen was located in the building that currently houses Subway/TCBY. They were on two stories and had a big staircase leading to the second story, which had a big fishtank at the top of the stairs.

...A&W was a Drive-In and you could pull up and order through a speaker.

...A&W upgraded to an eat-in restaurant that had a big orange gas fireplace in the middle of the eating area.

...a Shell gas station was located just north of the Canadian Tire store and had a drive-through Oil Change shop

...Robins Donuts was located just south of the Canadian Tire in what is now the CAA store

...Bi-Rite Drug Store was the main drug store in the south end and was in that horribly small mini-mall at the corner of Albert & Gordon. Then Bi-Rite was bought out by Shopper's Drug Mart.

...Boston Pizza was Gino's Pizza, which had wierd ramps going up and down to different seating levels and a great pizza buffet

...Buffalo Bills Arcade was located behind Gino's. They offered a Birthday Party Package which was $25 and all the machines had the coin thing open for 3 hours so you could just hit the coin slot button a thousand times and play as much as you wanted.

...the south end library was called the Sunset Library and was in the Sunset mall along side Greko's Restaurant. Then they closed it down and moved to the Southland Mall, renaming it the George Bothwell Library.

...the video store on the east side service road was ACME video, but then got bought out by Roger's Video.

... McGavin's Bakery sold great smelling fresh bread and the Brown Derby was one of the fanciest south end restaurants in the Albert Park mall on Gordon & Queen

Haha, I could keep going but this post is getting way too long.