View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 2:02 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Not really. They likely moved to Saskatoon because it's an underserved market (especially in Winter). In the summer/fall, the eyes are on the Riders, but Winter there is only the Blades. They were also smart about it and called the team the "Saskatchewan Rush" and although the epicentre is Stoon, there has been a fair bit of interest in Regina too... Just like with the Riders, the epicentre is Regina, but it spiders out.

With Winnipeg, there is the Jets that takes a huge amount of any possible corporate support and general media attention. That's likely why Winnipeg probably won't get a team for the foreseeable future (similar reason why they were moved out of Edmonton, i.e. the Oilers overshadow during the season), but who knows, maybe it'll happen. I mean... if Edmonton wasn't quite there to have a CFL team, an NHL team, and an NLL team... Kinda makes sense that the owner of an NLL team would try to do the same thing in Winnipeg with half the population and a lower disposable income... (Not slagging Winnipeg... Alberta cities generally have the highest disposable income in the country).
I agree. I don't think there is room in the Winnipeg market to adequately support another sports team. Not to mention trying to split time at the MTS Centre between Jets, Moose and NLL.

Congrats to the Rush!