View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 8:56 PM
BANNED

The Dresden buildings were destroyed in a merciless holocaust of bombs at the very end of WWII. The entire city was destroyed along with a 100,000 civilians and allied POWs.
I visited this very street in 1994 and there was nothing there but grass lots. The German people have raised and spent millions of dollars rebuilding the famous cathedral that you see here. Every detail inside is exact except for the organ. Surprisingly Queen Elizabeth donated some money. Churchill had said that he wanted to bring terror to the German people.

I expect that very few people are still alive who remember walking down this street before the inferno. It must be a strange sight indeed to see buildings which have not existed since 1945.

On a Berlin thread there is talk of rebuilding the cities "Schloss" or royal palace which was destroyed by the Soviets and the war.

I think that its a terrific idea to build new buildings in painstaking historical detail. Rebuilding the lost classical buildings of Europe could create a whole industry which would last decades.