View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
As Airboy noted a similar project is currently under construction for the old city centre airport land here in Edmonton. I can't speak to the economics, I guess it'll all depend on how many people are willing to buy into that community and at what cost. It's certainly ambitious but not unheard-of. Definitely challenges retrofitting existing neighborhoods as it'd require both the installation of the infrastructure and retrofit of the heating systems in each individual home. I don't think it'd be viable to try this.

No problem getting fluid that hot in solar collectors though. they're different than solar panels in that they concentrate solar radiation and focus that energy to heat fluid. You can get crazy hot water out of a solar collector if it's positioned right and it's sunny out.
There is a fluid solar collector on the Edmonton Airport for the SETE. I remember being in the service tunnels and putting my hand on one of the lines. Quite hot even on a cloudy day. Its a small system for domestic water use.

As for Blatchford DEC there are going to be solar collectors on the plant building to offset the cost of operating the pumps