View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:46 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, today my hike was to the top of Cuckold's Cove, which is in between St. John's and Quidi Vidi, basically across Cuckold's Cove from the backside of Signal Hill. A few scenes from there and the parking garage of 351 Water Street.

Video Link

I love, love, love autumn. The blueberry shrubs turn red, the moss turns yellow, and with the patches of green that still remain, it's just delicious.

A view across Cuckold's Cove to Cabot Tower and Signal Hill.

The Quidi Vidi Battery, which is an actual battery and not just a neighbourhood names after one long gone, as in the Battery proper.

The little fishing village of Quidi Vidi, just a 10-minute walk over the hill from downtown St. John's.

Pleasantville (formerly an American base, and massive. It's been divided up and gradually sold off and shut down since Canada took control. The city has a master plan to develop the entire neighbourhood with different styles of housing that achieve the same population density as downtown (up to 6,000 ppl/km2).

A waterfall with some weird... thing... on it. My family's ancestral home in Quidi Vidi, I practically grew up out there visiting relatives, and I have never, ever noticed that waterfall before.

Fishing rooms in Quidi Vidi.

The political pundits here are getting a kick out of Confederation Building still being wrapped in a giant condom.

Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador. 19,000 students and rising.

Cuckhold's Cove.

The St. John's Convention Centre expansion.

The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador and various other buildings in the downtown.

Water Street West.

Harbour Drive and the harbour apron.

Our harbourside kiosks - Legros & Motti, Jack Astor's, and The Keg.

Old St. John's.

Working on the roof of the St. John's Convention Centre.

The stairs up into the residential Old Town from Mile One Centre.

Another shot of the convention centre expansion.

Fortis Place and the JAG Hotel.

The City of St. John's flag.