View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Hmmm... no BRT plans from the students, although some were not thinking enough and suggested turning surface parking into "green gardens".... Nooo kiddies... please turn those parking lots into hi-rise apartments, condos., and office towers.
Actually, that green garden idea was from one of the undergrad students from U of M's faculty of Architecture (not quite a 'kiddie' anymore). It was more theoretical than practical as it posed the question of what do we do with all this road/parking infrastructure when it is no longer needed in the distant future (because we'll all be using public transit because of environmental concerns / price of gas). like i said, theoretical, but not quite practical - but it wasn't meant to be.

that being said, it was one of my more favorite ideas because it was one of the only projects that didn't focus on a single project to answer the question "Plan Your Winnipeg" (ie: a new building; a reworked mall; revamped courtyard). They're all great ideas, but we all know how (un)successful it is pinning our hopes to strengthen Winnipeg on a single project (ie: City Hall, Portage Place, MTS Centre), but when put together as a whole plan, things work out great (ie: St. Boniface or Osborne Village with their mix of shops, residences, business, services, parks, etc.) I was hoping to see more of that from the Adult category at last week's exhibition.