View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 9:30 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
I disagree and side with Steely Dan and Adrian Smith's assessment of cost vs height. An 80 story building will cost considerably more than 2 40 story towers. Yes systems are similar and so forth, but as you add height you have lots and lots of additional variables and costs increase greatly.

If that wasn't the case why do you see so many 20 story towers in suburban office markets when technically developers could build 1 40 story tower and still have a lot left for later use. Furthermore, why are supertalls limited to cities with the costliest real estate on average. Because supertall construction is much more expensive is the answer.
Of course you are welcome to disagree and thanks for offering your opinion. This isn't a matter of "taking sides". "lots and lots of additional variables"...such as? No. I'll just say one more time....UNIT construction costs do not go up wildly...some go up, some go down. The reason you don't see 40 story towers in the suburbs vs multiple 20 stories is NOT because it costs much more to build, it's because of other factors such as zoning and aesthetics and nimbyism. The original question referred to construction costs and my responses have been directed at construction costs.