View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 5:03 PM
Missing the Gorges

Yesterday, I went down to the city to take pictures of the student works, the Cornell 25-year master plan, and the virtually complete Gateway Commons.

It was as I in the Common council chambers that I realised the batteries in my camera had died.

So, I'll try and explain what I saw, for what it's worth.

The most impressive project was the one pictured above. All the others were fairly lowrise structures, like rowhouses, townhouses, and small aprtment buildings. None had anything over 5 floors, and one suggested removing the neighbouring trailer park for expanded green space.

As for the Cornell master plan, the general idea seems to be build out more towards the CALS agriculture fields of East Campus, more constuction at East Hill as a commerical center for Cornell and Collegetown, and most notably, the increased use of infill projects tall enough to acheieve the maximum efficency in a given space. The suggestion was also made to promote Tower road as a rapid transit corridor, but hey, this is a twenty-five year plan. Ex will we watching the grandkids go off to college by then.

And Gateway Commons. It's pretty. That's not going anywhere, so when I recharge the camera, I'll go down again to take some photos of that (alas, the other two interests have been moved/will be moving).